Re: [Pkg-octave-devel] Bugs in octave2.1

* Thomas Weber <thomas.weber.mail@gmail.com> [2009-01-03 18:25]:

> On Fri, Jan 02, 2009 at 03:01:05PM -0500, John W. Eaton wrote:
> > With GNU ld, I think all you need to do is use the -soname=NAME
> > option.  Adding that to the Octave build process should be fairly
> > simple.  I think the hard part is doing the right thing when the
> > internals change.  Currently, we don't care much.  Each new version of
> > Octave comes with a new set of libraries and we only have a weak
> > promise about compatibility with any previous versions.
>
> Changing the SONAME with every version in the development tree wouldn't
> be a problem at all. What I don't want is distribution-specific
> versioning, ie we doing it one way, Fedora in another and Gentoo yet
> again something different.
>
> Of course, stability in the stable releases would be nice, but is not
> necessary. This is more about tracking against which version of Octave a
> specific package was compiled.

I agree with Thomas here.  For now, only the DOG packages have files needing
to link against liboctave and liboctinterp.  We are rebuilding the packages
for every new version of Octave already, so that Thomas' proposal above will
not imply changes in our work flow.

On the other hand, if other packages outside the DOG start making use of the
libraries, then the upstream authors will need to be more careful about
changing the SONAME, I think.