Re: [Pkg-octave-devel] Size of the octave-forge packages

On 23-Mar-2008, Thomas Weber wrote:

| I bet it won't take four weeks and we have a wishlist bug
| for a virtual octave-forge package, pulling in all other packages. At
| which point we would end up with the same situation as with the
| monolithic package: everybody installs everything.

Except that (I think) with just one octave-forge package, releases
could really only happen when the whole of Octave Forge was at an
acceptable state for release.  With many individual packages and one
virtual package that depends on them, the individual packages can
still be updated and released independently without needing to wait
until every component is ready.

If you do end up creating a virtual package that depends on the
individual packages, I hope that you will limit that to the packages
that do not override existing Octave functions, because I'm sure that
many users will simply install the virtual package blindly, and they
should not be able to change the behavior of core Octave functions
without knowing what they are doing (thinking about this a little
more, maybe that's something that Octave itself should be able to warn
about).

jwe