Re: [Pkg-octave-devel] Using a distributed VCS for the DOG

Am Mittwoch, den 05.03.2008, 11:31 +0100 schrieb Rafael Laboissiere:
> * Thomas Weber <thomas.weber.mail@gmail.com> [2008-03-05 07:18]:
>
> > We are currently using Subversion and I'd like to switch to a
> > distributed VCS as well. I'm sitting in a train right now and I'm
> > feeling the pain of not being able to "$VCS log" and "$VCS diff
> > -rsomething_older".[1]
> >
> > I'm not really set on any system: Mercurial might be easier to learn, as
> > we will need it anyway for Octave. Git seems to get more and more
> > traction, and there's also darcs, bazaar, ...
>
> I would restrict the choice to Mercurial and Git.  I do not wish to learn
> soon a fifth VCS.

I agree, but didn't want to restrict the choice right from the start.

> > [1] This mail will be queued for sending via msmtp and is sent when I
> > get online again. If you need something like this, I can wholeheartly
> > recommend it - it works like a charm.
>
> Last time you talked about offlineimap.  Did you change your mind or is it
> possible to use both offlineimap and msmtp together?

They are different tools and I use them together. In short, offlineimap
is for reading and syncing, msmtp is for sending.

Offlineimap syncs your IMAP account from the server onto your notebook,
so you have all mails from your account locally (it puts them into
maildir format on the local disk). If you read, delete, ... one of your
mails, offlineimap keeps track of this. When syncing with the server the
next time, it will mirror all changes you've done locally to the server.
If you have accessed the mail on the server from another account, it
should keep the states consistent (I ususally try to avoid such a
situation, but offlineimap's author ensures that it can cope with this).

msmtp is for sending mail (replacing exim4 on my notebook). I just edit
the mail in mutt, and have the sendmail variable set to msmtp-enqueue.sh
(a script coming with msmtp).
So I can simply "send" it from mutt and it will be placed in a queue.
When online, I run msmtp-runqueue, and the queue is flushed. This is
probably possible with every MTA, but I don't see much sense in running
a mail daemon on a notebook, which acts 3 times a day at most and just
drains battery the rest of the time.

	Thomas