Re: [Pkg-octave-devel] Octave 2.9.10, octave-forge with new pkg system: Call for volunteers

* Jimi Ayodele <ayodele@sdf.lonestar.org> [2007-03-29 17:25]:

> I would be interested in helping, but I would like to work with at least
> one other person for the time being.
>
> The "incident" which occurred during my last commit caused me to be rather
> apprehensive about directly submitting patches to the versioning system.
> Although this happened about eighteen months ago, it feels like it
> happened last week.

I vaguely remember that incident and this is an indication that it was not
grave at all.  SVN is our friend and screw-ups are normally reversible.  I
do mistakes from time to time as well (even quite recently [1]).

[1] http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/pkg-octave/octave2.9/?op=log&rev=878&sc=1&isdir=1

> As such, I would rather hold off on making any commits on my own until I
> become more familiar with how the versioning system works. In the
> meantime, my preference is to submit patches to a developer who has ample
> experience with the system.

Do not be afraid of doing mistakes with the SVN repository.  IMO, you will
only learn if you practice.

That said, as I already told you privately, what we need now is to
understand the pkg system in Octave 2.9.10 and start thinking about how we
could generate Debian package from the octave-forge components in a
aumtomatic (or semi-automatic) way.  Sources of inspiration could be:
dh-make, dh-make-perl, kernel-package, cran2deb, and ttf2tex-mkpkg (and
probably there of which I am not aware).