Re: [Pkg-octave-devel] RFS: QtOctave -- A Qt front-end to Octave

Hi!

On 21/06/07, Rafa Rodriguez Galván <rafael.rodriguez@uca.es> wrote:
We had between our plans the idea of making a Debian package for
qtOctave, following the Debian Octave guidelines, so if you wish and
people from Debian Octave group agree, I can collaborate with you,
taking your package as starting point in order to reach that objective.

Er... not that I want to be a package hog here, but I'll try to be
anyways. In other words, I appreciate your offer to help very much,
but I think I'd rather work on packaging QtOctave myself. ;-)

Allow me to explain. It's mostly for pedagogical purposes for myself.
For the longest time, I have been wanting to package a number of
things for Debian (e.g. #409077), but I have felt daunted for a number
of reasons. QtOctave looked simpler to package, although I've already
run into quite a number of problems, most of them simple, and one
complicated. I already have two DDs who have decided to mentor/sponsor
me through mentors.debian.net, and I'm feeling comfortable working for
them while I learn how to solve the packaging issues myself with their
guidance.

If, however, people are impatient with my blundering first steps in
creating a QtOctave Debian package and can't wait for me to figure it
out, then I'll be forced to accept help. :-(

Is this arrangement ok? Can I take my time to learn how to do this properly?

Cheers,
- Jordi G. H.