Re: [Pkg-octave-devel] /usr/bin/mex and texlive

On Oct 3, 2006, at 6:44 AM, Rafael Laboissiere wrote:

* Thomas Weber <thomas.weber.mail@gmail.com> [2006-09-28 12:13]:

there's a discussion on debian-release regarding tetex and texlive.

The package texlive-lang-polish has an (outdated) conflict against octave-forge, because it ships with a /usr/bin/mex file (a symlink to pdfetex).

The current octave2.1-forge package has /usr/bin/mex2.1, octave2.9-forge hasn't any mex-binaries in /usr/bin/; the current octave-forge CVS is a little bit chaotic due to the move to packages, but it seems that the mex/ directory is gone for good.

So I guess it boils down to wether we are okay with handing /usr/bin/mex to another package?

It seems that the mex program is obsolete and mkoctfile in octave2.9 handles mex files directly. I would then handle it to texlive-lang-polish and drop the /usr/bin/mex alternative. Before going ahead, I would like to hear from the upstream authors of octave-forge whether this is appropriate (Cc:ing this message to Paul Kienzle, although I think he lurks this mailing list).

Handing /usr/bin/mex to another package is appropriate.

mex is gone from octave2.9-forge and won't pop up in octave since it is an m-file there.

The command line form of mex in octave2.9 is "mkoctfile -mex".

	- Paul