Re: [Pkg-octave-devel] Plotting in octave

Thomas Weber wrote:
Additionally, Octaviz is a pain to build. One hour of build time even on
fast machines.

Feel free to test compiles of these versions against Octave 2.9 and
report back. If you don't want to risk your system, you can setup a
chroot for the compiles. Please ask if you are interested, so I can give
you further advice.
Right now I'm focussed on getting the tools I need to do the research for my final year project. Once I'm confident that I can get some work done I'll try and help out here. It sounds like a fun challenge, but right now I'm dealing with more fun challenges than I feel capable of handling :-)
That's not how you should use this packages. Taken from /usr/share/doc/octave-plplot/README.Debian

"octave-plplot: Glue library with bindings for Octave 2.1.  In order
 to use this package, issue the command "use_plplot" at the Octave 2.1
 prompt."
I tried this and this is what I got (I am updating against the unstable Debian mirror, so I don't know if this problem exists in a plain Sarge version of Debian):

---snip---
GNU Octave, version 2.1.73 (i486-pc-linux-gnu).
Copyright (C) 2006 John W. Eaton.
This is free software; see the source code for copying conditions.
There is ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; not even for MERCHANTIBILITY or
FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  For details, type `warranty'.

Additional information about Octave is available at http://www.octave.org.

Please contribute if you find this software useful.
For more information, visit http://www.octave.org/help-wanted.html

Report bugs to <bug@octave.org> (but first, please read
http://www.octave.org/bugs.html to learn how to write a helpful report).

octave:1> use_plplot
This function is deprecated.  Use toggle_plplot_use instead.
octave:2> toggle_plplot_use
error: This version of octave-plplot only works with Octave 2.1
---snip---

I included the full octave header to show that I was most definately trying to do this in Octave 2.1. Time to submit a bug or am I still doing something wrong?

The reason I did it the other way (writing a LOADPATH directive in my ~/.octaverc) is because of the documentation in /usr/share/doc/octave_plplot/USAGE.octave.gz:

---snip---
You must add the plplot_octave script installation directory to Octave
LOADPATH *before* the standard Octave LOADPATH. The best way to do this
is to create a .octaverc file in your home directory. By default

LOADPATH ="<install-directory>/share/plplot_octave//:"
---snip---

Eh, I consider this list to be quite friendly, so no apologies are
needed. Just a note for the future: if you file a bug, include a
complete non-working example (that is everything you type right from the
first Octave prompt). This makes it easier for both us and upstream to
reproduce your problem.
Thanks for the  tip, will do my utmost to do this.

Regards

--
Jan Vermeulen
The Extremist

"God has such a deep reverence for our freedom that he'd much rather have us freely go to Hell, than be compelled to go to Heaven"
                                               ----------Desmond Tutu
                       Beyers Naude Memorial Lecture 2003 (15 August)