[Pkg-octave-devel] Plotting in octave

Hail!

According to what I've been reading from Debian's website, this group is where all queries dealing with Octave, OctPlot and Octaviz (relating to Debian, of course) comes to. Is the same true for PLPlot-Octave?

I've been experiencing problems and I honestly don't know where I can find out who I'm supposed to talk to.

GNUplot is dead slow. So I began looking at OctPlot, Octaviz and PLPlot. None of these packages have been implemented in Octave 2.9 yet, that's the first and main problem. Is this an issue from the Debian package side (i.e. it can be fixed here) or is it the developers of the packages that have not yet release versions capable of running on Octave 2.9?

I can't get PLPlot to work in Octave 2.1. After placing LOADPATH="/usr/share/plplot_octave//:" in my .octaverc, a call to plot results in `Requested device xwin not available'. I've not had the energy to try and find a solution to this, but initial results from Google were not promising. In addition: once Octave has been run and an attempt to use plplot had been made, my .octaverc file disappears and every time a run Octave from then on results in the LOADPATH above being executed. Rebooting my machine seemed to have cleared up the problem. Saving the PLplot plot to a file (I used PostScript), showed that the plot generated was turned CCW 90 degrees and the bottom part (x-axis) was sliced off.

Octaviz works, in a manner of speaking, but the plots it draws are distorted.

OctPlot seems to work (and much faster the GNUplot), but I have not been able to successfully draw a mesh, when executing x=1:10;y=1:10;mesh(x,y), I get the following output:

error: no such figure
error: evaluating if command near line 32, column 3
error: called from `figure' in file `/usr/lib/octplot/figure.m'
error: evaluating if command near line 19, column 3
error: called from `__pl_init' in file `/usr/share/plplot_octave/support/__pl_init.m'
error: evaluating assignment expression near line 21, column 8
error: called from `__pl_mesh' in file `/usr/share/plplot_octave/support/__pl_mesh.m'
error: called from `mesh' in file `/usr/share/plplot_octave/mesh.m'

Are there any recommendations/solutions/flames from anyone? Many apologies if this is considered spam to the list... Let me know where issues like this should go and I will only trouble you with Debian/Octave issues in future.

Regards

--
Jan Vermeulen
The Extremist

"God has such a deep reverence for our freedom that he'd much rather have us freely go to Hell, than be compelled to go to Heaven"
                                               ----------Desmond Tutu
                       Beyers Naude Memorial Lecture 2003 (15 August)