Re: [Pkg-octave-devel] SUNDIALS 2.2.0 packaging

Hi Rafael,

On Thursday 04 May 2006 13:59, Rafael Laboissiere wrote:

> > - The new version has API versioning enabled, so I have deleted the
> > lintian override file. The problem is, all the API versioning numbers are
> > set to 0. Now lintian complains about the name of the binary package not
> > reflecting the SONAME. Should we rename it?
>
> Yes, the package should be renamed to libsundials-serial0.

Ok, will take care of this.

> The package did not built correctly for me.  The generated libraries have
> wrong names:
>
> $ ls debian/tmp/usr/lib/*0*
> debian/tmp/usr/lib/libsundials_cvode.0
> debian/tmp/usr/lib/libsundials_cvode.0.0.0
> debian/tmp/usr/lib/libsundials_cvodes.0
> debian/tmp/usr/lib/libsundials_cvodes.0.0.0
> debian/tmp/usr/lib/libsundials_ida.0
> debian/tmp/usr/lib/libsundials_ida.0.0.0
> debian/tmp/usr/lib/libsundials_kinsol.0
> debian/tmp/usr/lib/libsundials_kinsol.0.0.0
> debian/tmp/usr/lib/libsundials_nvecserial.0
> debian/tmp/usr/lib/libsundials_nvecserial.0.0.0
>
> Notice the lack of the "so" extension.  Investigating the issue further,
> I discovered that the libtool script shipped in the upstream tarball does
> not set the variable $shared_ext.  How did you succeed to build the
> package correctly?

With kind of a kludge. I overwrote the shipped config/ltmain.sh with the one
that comes with current libtool. Bad news is, this results in a big diff. I
see two other possible fixes:
-  patch the original ltmain.sh
- manually rename lib*.0.0.0 to lib*.so.*

Which one is better?

> > - the new upstream include/ structure has subdirectories for each solver.
> > Besides, there is a sundials subdirectory for common stuff. Since we
> > put include files in /usr/include/sundials, we end up with
> > /usr/include/sundials/sundials/*.h.
>
> I do not think this is a problem.  On the other hand, the files ida.h,
> kinsol.h, and nvector_serial.h are installed in /usr/include/sundials/.
> Is this normal?

I think so. Probably the user does not need to include headers in the
subdirectories, just the "main" headers  (/usr/include/sundials/*.h).

> > - Lintian also complains about symlinks to the shared libraries in the
> > respective package. Should they go into the -dev package?
>
> Yes.

ok.

Andrey