[Pkg-octave-devel] Re: Inappropriate user-level configuration in system files

On 18 October 2005 at 21:56, Rafael Laboissiere wrote:
| * Niels Möller <nisse@lysator.liu.se> [2005-10-17 13:57]:
|
| > Package: octave2.1-emacsen
| > Version: 2.1.69-1
| >
| > The octave-emacsen package installs a startup file
| > /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50octave.el which among other things contains
| >
| > (add-hook 'octave-mode-hook
| >           (lambda ()
| >             (abbrev-mode 1)
| >             (auto-fill-mode 1)
| >             (if (eq window-system 'x)
| > 		(font-lock-mode 1))))
| >
| > This is *not* an appropriate place to modify user preferences such as
| > the use of font-lock-mode. The user who wants their emacs windows to
| > look like christmas trees can use global-font-lock-mode in their
| > .emacs file. If there should be a system default for such things that
| > is different than the standard emacs default settings, that belongs in
| > in default.el or the emacsen-common package, not in the system files
| > for some random emacs addon package.
| >
| > Installing the octave-emacsen package should only install the octave
| > mode, and not fiddle with user preferences. It took me quite some time
| > to figure out why I suddenly had font-lock mode enabled in my emacs.
|
| I tend to agree with the bug submitter on this issue.  Dirk, since you
| are the original author of 50octave.el, I would like to know your
| opinion.

It's a config file, if Niels doesn't like it, he can comment it out and his
choice will be reflected. It is still a good default for most users in my
book, especially for those who wouldn't know how to set Emacs up themselves.

So not a bug, and I'd close it.

Lastly, I probably copied this verbatim from the elisp mode's user
configuration section. So either close this or send it upstream.

Dirk

--
Statistics: The (futile) attempt to offer certainty about uncertainty.
         -- Roger Koenker, 'Dictionary of Received Ideas of Statistics'