Re: [Pkg-octave-devel] Package for 2.9.x?

* Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd@debian.org> [2005-04-22 23:09]:

> On 22 April 2005 at 15:28, John W. Eaton wrote:
> | Has there been any work done to package 2.9.x for Debian?

All messages about acceptance of the octave packages are sent to the
pkg-octave-devel mailing list, like this one:

http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-octave-devel/2005-April/000335.html

> Yes, Rafael did a lot of work on that. But because it was a somewhat
> experimental upload (given that my old 'hack' of allowing 2.0 and 2.1 to
> co-exist had never been extended), it was rightly placed in the
> 'experimental' distribution. Those sit in the pool/ structure just like all
> the other packages, e.g.
>
> 	http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/o/octave2.9/
>
> and all the mirrors, but they do get fed to the autobuilders. If you have an
> entry in apt's sources.list for experimental, and have the proper pinning,
> then you can install these just like all the other packages.
>
> Now, I never had time to play with these so I am unsure what the status is.
> Another issue may be that we are supposedly close to a freeze (yeah, heard
> that before :) so Rafael may not have wanted to insert this into unstable.

There is also another reason I did not upload octave2.9 to unstable:
although the octave2.9 package itself can coexist with octave2.1, the
other octave2.9-* packages conflict with the corresponding octave2.1-*.
This is something that we have to sort out before uploading the packages
to unstable.

> | What is necessary to create a new set of packages for 2.9.x?
>
> I think they are all there, the svn archive on alioth.debian.org will have
> the code, and we should expect to 2.9.2 in due course.

I am a bit busy right now.  If someone steps forward to do it, I will be
most grateful.

> Now as to when these go into unstable, I will let others speak to.

See above.