Re: [Pkg-octave-devel] kmatplot ?

On 22 March 2005 at 01:14, Hugo van der Merwe wrote:
| On Thu, Mar 17, 2005 at 06:22:52AM -0600, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
| >
| > Hugo,
| >
| > On 17 March 2005 at 08:00, Rafael Laboissiere wrote:
| > | * Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd@debian.org> [2005-03-16 20:27]:
| > |
| > |
| > | I think that Hugo should follow the DOG Guidelines for the kmatplot
| > | package.  Would you please contact him?
| >
| > Rafael is coordinating a group of Debian and non-Debian maintainers for work
| > on Octave and octave-related packages. You may have noticed the new
| > maintainer address on most of these.
| >
| > Your kmatplot package may benefit from tighter integration into Octave, and
| > in particular from using the new Api-numbered directories for .oct and .m
| > files. Use of these is spelled out in the Debian Octave Group (DOG)
| > Guidelines you find on the Alioth site.
|
| Thanks. Should this be in time for Sarge? My apologies for lagging too
| much with kmatplot. I think I did advertise an RFA for the package, as I
| am neglecting it too much. In fact, I only now realise I don't notice it
| going "out of sync" with octave, since aptitude upgrades octave without
| worrying due to kmatplot only "recommending" octave. (Never gave it
| enough thought before.)
|
| I don't use it myself (which is always non-ideal for a package
| maintainer), and the project is no longer developed upstream. (In fact,
| it has been forked to qmatplot to fix compile problems on GCC3... at
| some point I should replace kmatplot with qmatplot, I don't feel rushed
| though since it has no run-time difference (except the name...)
|
| The unfortunate thing: I'm off on holiday now (must pack and sleep
| ASAP), so if someone wants to do an NMU in time for sarge, they are more
| than welcome. If someone feels this does not belong in sarge, I'll even
| agree with that, too. I don't know.
|
| Apologies for being to lax,

That's alright, and at least we're all on the same page now.

So maybe we should simply do one or both of
-- relax the kmatplot / Octave binding even further to the point of
   ignoring it
-- remove kmatplot from the distribution

Dirk

--
Better to have an approximate answer to the right question than a precise
answer to the wrong question.  --  John Tukey as quoted by John Chambers