Ocaml 4.03.0 transition

Ralf Treinen:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Oct 25, 2016 at 12:42:00PM +0000, Ximin Luo wrote:
>
>> I have been trying to transition ocaml before the Nov 5 deadline but atm it is failing on some architectures:
>
> Thanks a lot for this !
>
>> I will try to fix the ocaml build failure myself over the next days, however there are a ton of ocaml packages that need to looked at for the transition. Help would be much appreciated.
>
> How can we coordinate? I remember that we used to have a transition
> tracker. Do we have an overview of which packages fail to build under
> 4.03?
>
> Maybe a page on the debian wiki, in order to keep track of known
> problems?

Hey,

I've fixed most of the other architectures on ocaml 4.03.0, unfortunately armhf is still failing. It looks PIE related:

https://buildd.debian.org/status/logs.php?pkg=ocaml&arch=armhf

Running tests from 'tests/asmcomp' ...
make arch codegen
make tests
 ... testing 'fib': => passed
 ... testing 'tak': => passed
 ... testing 'quicksort': => passed
 ... testing 'quicksort2':/usr/bin/ld: quicksort2.o: relocation R_ARM_THM_MOVW_ABS_NC against `cmp' can not be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC
quicksort2.o: error adding symbols: Bad value
 => failed
 ... testing 'soli':/usr/bin/ld: soli.o: relocation R_ARM_THM_MOVW_ABS_NC against `a local symbol' can not be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC
soli.o: error adding symbols: Bad value
 => failed
 ... testing 'arith':/usr/bin/ld: arith.o: relocation R_ARM_THM_MOVW_ABS_NC against `D' can not be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC
arith.o: error adding symbols: Bad value
 => failed
 ... testing 'checkbound': => passed
 ... testing 'tagged-fib': => passed
 ... testing 'tagged-integr':/usr/bin/ld: tagged-integr.o: relocation R_ARM_THM_MOVW_ABS_NC against `a local symbol' can not be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC
tagged-integr.o: error adding symbols: Bad value
 => failed
 ... testing 'tagged-quicksort': => passed
 ... testing 'tagged-tak': => passed
 ... testing 'optargs': => passed
 ... testing 'staticalloc': => passed

Help with this would be appreciated, I don't really know OCaml that well.

After we do this, we will need to calculate which reverse-dependencies need to be rebuilt. I don't know the right query to input into ben(1), help on that would also be appreciated. Also it still requires 4.02.3 so I would have to temporarily downgrade my system ocaml and hope my opam system switch doesn't mess up in the meantime...

GPG: ed25519/56034877E1F87C35
GPG: rsa4096/1318EFAC5FBBDBCE
https://github.com/infinity0/pubkeys.git