Re: Packaging for 4.03.0 and OCamlbuild

Hi,

quick answer without looking into the package in detail:

On Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 10:39:00PM +0000, Ximin Luo wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've packaged 4.03.0 and OCamlbuild in git:
>
> https://anonscm.debian.org/git/pkg-ocaml-maint/packages/ocaml.git
> https://anonscm.debian.org/git/pkg-ocaml-maint/packages/ocamlbuild.git
>
> They are ready to be released, but I wanted to clarify the following issues first:

Great, thanks for building that package !

> 1. ocaml 4.03.0 splits ocamlbuild into a separate package, which is why this is now needed for Debian. In ocamlbuild, I have the following line:
>
> Replaces: libfindlib-ocaml (<< 1.6.2+), ocaml-nox (<< 4.02.3+)
> (for libfindlib-ocaml it just replaces /usr/lib/ocaml/ocamlbuild/META)
>
> but I'm not sure what else is needed like Conflicts/Breaks/Provides etc.

I think you also need a Breaks: on these packages

> 2. Shall I add a (>= 4.03.0) to the Build-Depends of ocamlbuild? I'm guessing not; it works with older compilers, but perhaps there are good reasons to, I don't know.

If it builds with older versions of ocaml then there is no need to add
that additional constraint.

> 3. Should we upload ocamlbuild first, or ocaml 4.03.0 first?

This would be part of a general 4.02->4.03 transition. Are there any
plans for that ? New versions of packages of the toolchain would be
uploaded to experimental, first.

> 4. Currently ocamlbuild hard-depends on ocaml-native-compilers, do you have suggestions for this to work on architectures where it's not available?

That would be ocaml-best-compilers, but why do you need that ?
ocamlbuild should not be that expensive to build.

-Ralf.