Re: RFS: ocp-indent -- OCaml indentation tool for emacs and vim

Hi,

Quoting Stéphane Glondu (2014-03-06 15:18:11)
> Le 06/03/2014 14:57, Johannes Schauer a écrit :
> > I dont remember from where I got the splitting into libocp-indent-lib-ocaml
> > (with META and cma) and libocp-indent-lib-ocaml-dev (with all the rest) but now
> > that I search for it I can see some packages which do it that way (for example
> > libxen-ocaml or libatd-ocaml or libben-ocaml or libfindlib-ocaml).
>
> This practice appeared with Ocsigen dynamically loading many libraries
> already (seperately) packaged in Debian, but is not yet documented in
> policy :-( There is an open bug about it, though:
>
>   https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=500036

thanks! That increased my understanding a lot. :)

Maybe it would help to have Lintian warn about these things?

I'm currently working on making Lintian support build profiles so maybe when
I'm done with that I could integrate some ocaml checks which would've avoided
me making the mistakes I initially did:

 - warn if a dependency on ocaml lib is explicitly added even though dh_ocaml
   is used
 - warn if there is a cma without a cmxs in a runtime package
 - warn about any other combination of "X was installed but without Y" in dev
   packages

> > Are you also saying that I do not need to create the two packages
> > libocp-indent-lib-ocaml and libocp-indent-lib-ocaml-dev but that only
> > libocp-indent-lib-ocaml-dev with all the files is enough? From reading [1]
> > it seems that splitting it into a lib and a dev package is only advised if
> > a shared library is involved which is not the case here.
>
> This is indeed what I'm saying. But keep in mind that if someone later
> writes a plugin using libocp-indent-lib-ocaml-dev for a program not
> using it, nor the OCaml toolchain, the second package might be needed.
>
> Whether you create the second package now or later, on demand, is up to
> you :-)

I see. I will leave them separate for now. I pushed my changes to git.

I submitted my current patch to Makefile.simple to upstream [1].

Thanks a lot for the help :)

cheers, josch

[1] https://github.com/OCamlPro/ocp-indent/issues/124