Re: RFS: ocaml-http (updates to libhttp-ocaml-dev from the maintainer)

Hi,

On 31/12/2010 03:59, Arlen Cuss wrote:

I was thinking of posting this to debian-mentors, but then figured
this was a more appropriate place. If this is not the case, please let
me know and I will go over there quietly :-)

debian-mentors is as appropriate as this list (imo), but potential
sponsors follow this list (icbw though), more than -mentors.

I've made a new release with some moderately important bugfixes the
source package "ocaml-http", which builds "libhttp-ocaml-dev - OCaml
library for writing HTTP servers."

I took over maintenance a few months back of the upstream package
itself from Stefano Zacchiroli as he's currently busy DPLing .. :-)

I had a quick look and here are my comments:

1) It would be nice to put this package under "Debian OCaml Maintainers"
maintenance, and put the current maintainer(s) in the uploaders field as
it's our current policy in the OCaml team.

2) It would be nice to have a Git repository for the packaging (even if
you are upstream), and put that git repo on git.debian.org.
dom-new-git-repo would probably help here.

2.1) Dropping "debian/" folder from upstream sources would be nice too.
Ideally, changes made to "debian/" should appear in their own branch (or
even better, repository). AFAIK, we tend to prefer the latter (repository).

3) The changelog entries look odd to me. It reads as follows:

+ocaml-http (0.1.5-1) unstable; urgency=low
+
+  * better cookie parsing (as seen in real life!)
+  * auto-close connections by default
+  * don't die on empty query strings
+
+ -- Arlen Cuss <celtic@sairyx.org>  Fri, 31 Dec 2010 12:58:55 +1100
+

3.1) Those remarks are about the new upstream release. There should be
some "New upstream release" item (at least), with those remarks under it
(if you still want to mention them).

"debian/changelog" should not be used to document upstream changes (as the
name suggests). Upstream should have his own ChangeLog file.

3.2) Changes done in the packaging are not mentioned at all!

3.2.1) Switching to "3.0 quilt" source format
3.2.2) New maintainer
3.2.3) Updating Vcs-* and Homepage fields.
3.2.4) Updating debian/copyright
3.2.5) Getting rid of debian/svn-deblayout
3.2.6) Fixing typos in descriptions

More importantly, the packaging needs some heavy update to:
3.2.7) Use dh-ocaml to compute automatically the dependencies.
3.2.8) Update to standards version and check what needs to be changed.
3.2.9) "debian/dirs.in" should probably be dropped.
3.2.10) compat needs to be bumpd (after checking that it's alright)

4) We are frozen. So, I'm not sure that targetting unstable is a great
idea. It would be nicer to target experimental for now (imo).

5) There is one bugreport filed against this package (See [1]). Does 0.1.5
fix it? If so, something like "Fix behaviour when the host does not exist,
(Closes: #473579)" (or similar), should be mentioned in debian/changelog.

Regards,

--
Mehdi Dogguy مهدي الدڤي
http://dogguy.org/