ocamlopt failure under git-pbuilder

I'm seeing a strange failure when I try to build a package with
git-buildpackage and git-pbuilder:

    [...]
    ocamlfind ocamlopt -package "unix pcre" -c netsys_impl_util.ml
    /tmp/camlasm44a107.s: Assembler messages:
    /tmp/camlasm44a107.s:581: Error: .size expression does not evaluate to a constant
    File "netsys_impl_util.ml", line 1, characters 0-1:
    Error: Assembler error, input left in file /tmp/camlasm44a107.s

The tmp file gets deleted -- is there some way to tell gbp to keep it around?

Many other files were compiled successfully before this one failed.
The strange part is that the package compiles OK when it is built with
just "debuild".  Any suggestions would be welcome.