Re: join the team

On 28-07-2010, Mehdi Dogguy <mehdi@dogguy.org> wrote:
> On  0, Mihamina Rakotomandimby <mihamina@rktmb.org> wrote:
>> Manao ahoana, Hello, Bonjour,
>>
>> I try to use OCaml at work and othe current small project is to package
>> that little crypt() binding:
>> http://docs.camlcity.org/docs/godisrc/crypt-1.0.tar.gz
>>

> I had a quick look at the "crypt" project. It appears that the project
> is only a binding to the C crypt function. I'm not sure this deserves
> its own package in Debian (maybe for a personal use, but not directly in
> the Debian archive). I think that people can easily integrate it in
> their own project. And even more seriously (from a Debian practices
> POV), the sources don't include any information about the license nor
> any copyright statement. That would not be accepted in Debian.

This is indeed a very small package. The reason Mehdi gives you is the
first point that could prevent having it in Debian archive. The other
reason is that the only download site is the backup site of GODI.
Upstream maintainer (E. Stokes) doesn't distribute it anymore.

If, as I know, you are willing to take over the maintainance of the
package and extend its functionnalities to the whole libcrypt library, I
think Mehdi's argument and mine would just disappear.

FYI, I think the following functions are exported by libcrypt:
- encrypt, encrypt_r
- setkey, setkey_r
- crypt, crypt_r

I don't know the precise use of these functions though.

Regards,
Sylvain Le Gall