Re: Care of your packages Was: Accepted dh-ocaml 0.4.1~bpo50+1 (source all)

Hi zack!

On Tuesday, 2. February 2010, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> I understand it is difficult to draw a line here: on one hand you/we
> don't want to carve in stone that without maintainer ack you shouldn't
> backport (we are full of non-responsive maintainers, adding that will
> block the process), on the other hand---and for the cases where
> maintainers *are* responsive---it will just feel odd to receive an
> "improper" backport without even a ping.  I'm personally unable to draw
> a generic line here, so let's just convey the message that we, debian
> ocaml maintainers, welcome backports, but please drop a line before :-)
> (we are usually quite reactive on #debian-ocaml for instance, see our
> team page [1]).

Yeah .. if I ever touch an ocalm package again, I will contact you guys. :)

> On the other hand, about your suggestion of documenting backporting
> practices in README.source, I don't think it would be appropriate. For
> once, backports is not something official in Debian (at least "not yet",
> whereas the recent move on the buildd front is a step in that
> direction), so I don't think it would be realistic to hope maintainers
> will diligently document backporting practices. Then, maintainers might
> lack the appropriate knowledge on how backports work, as long as they've
> never done one. Finally, README.source has currently a very specific
> mean documented into the Debian policy, overloading it arbitrarily
> doesn't seem a wise step to me.

My intention was not to document general backport instructions. But in my
mind, I try to keep my packaging straight and easy to read as possible, so
other people can base on my work. Tighting build-deps together just for
transitioning reasons may make life for outsiders less easier, so I thought
there maybe anywhere a more prominent place, then the changelog, to clarify
that for all involved packages this mechanism was used for that reason.
Anyways ... that might not a good idea ... I'm not sure about that really. :)

> As a suggestion, if you really want to push in this direction, you might
> try the alternative path of suggesting people to introduce a
> README.backports or such, which would be nothing official (yet?), but
> which backports-sensible maintainers can start to spread. If its need
> will be proved, one day it can become something officially part of DD
> workflow.

Actually I think, that would a bit overacted (for now).

Thanks and with kind regards, Jan.
--
Never write mail to <waja@spamfalle.info>, you have been warned!