Re: names of distribution-branches in the git repository

On 11/20/2010 12:05 PM, Ralf Treinen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> these days we are (or ar least we should be) mostly using the
> experimental distribution for uploads. In that case it seems
> reasonable to put modifications on a git branch that is specific to
> that distribution. This of course also applies to other branches,
> like for backporting.

Ok.

> It would be nice if we could agree on canonical names for these
> branches in the git repository. Personally, I have been using
> "master-experimental", which is a PITA to type, but I also have seen
>  "experimetal" which is probably less acurate but much more
> convenient.

Agreed. Personally, I won't choose plain "experimental" because we could
sometimes track upstream's trunk as well. In other repositories (on
git.d.o), I've seen "debian/$suite" and "upstream/$whatever"… which
looks very nice. It's also very convenient for backports or maintenance
during a stable release since all changes go in e.g. "debian/squeeze"
and the name clearly says that it's Debian's branch. So, there is no
confusion.

> I suggest that we add to the dom packaging reference that branches
> intended for primary release into a distribution should be named like
> that distribution, that is experimental, squeeze, whatever-backport,
> etc, with the exception that the branch for sid is called master.
> Does that sound reasonable?

Seems reasonable, if we find a concensus.

> In that case I would also suggest that dom-git-checkout also pulls
> the experimental branch when it exists.

I won't like such a behaviour for the following reasons :
- If you upload once to experimental, then the branch will remain there
forever. So, you'll always pull experimental, even when it's not necessary.
- It's very easy to say to git that you want to track experimental as
well. You just have to say to Git:
	git branch --track $branch_name remotes/origin/$branch_name
You can add that to your ~/.gitconfig to make it shorter.

So, I don't see any reason to add that to dom-git-checkout, unless you
also add that for all possible names because you'll also need to track
"debian/lenny" branch as well (some day); and not make it the default.

Regards,

--
Mehdi Dogguy مهدي الدڤي
http://dogguy.org/