Re: NO_CUSTOM in OCamlMakefile

On Fri, Mar 06, 2009 at 08:59:33PM +0100, Ralf Treinen wrote:
> I do not think that we should change that behaviour. IMHO, this
> package is rather useful for for ocaml programmers who wish to have
> the latest version of that file for their own projects,
> independently of whether this is for building debian packages or
> not. So we shouldn't deviate from OCamlMakfile's standard behaviour
> without a very good reason. If you believe that it is *in general* a
> bad idea to use CUSTIM_MODE than this should be fixed by upstream.

Full ACK.
Debian policy is no reason to change the default behavior that users
might rely upon.

Still, I do think it is an upstream bug, because custom executables
are not deprecated by us, but by OCaml upstream with the introduction
of the C stubs mechanism (paraphrasing Xavier). So a communication
with upstream asking to change the default might be appropriate.

Eric: out of curiosity, why the approx C stubs are not shipped as a
separate library? Are they approx-specific and not more generally
interesting?

Finally, adding a not of warning to the current policy like "beware:
OCamlMakefile has CUSTOM_MODE=y by default" can avoid future
mistakes. I've been hit myself by this in the past.