Re: Uploading dh-ocaml 0.9.0 (to unstable)...

On 17-09-2009, Stéphane Glondu <steph@glondu.net> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> A lot of work has been done during DebConf9 on dh-ocaml. But since then,
> not so much.
>
> A big (and waited) feature is the automatic dependency generator. There
> is also the ocaml dh plugin.

OK, this is partly my fault. I was busy with many other things.

> There is currently a known problem with the automatic dependency
> generator that makes it impossible to use with arch:all packages (in a
> nutshell: virtual package names are different on bytecode
> architectures), and this has been blocking further development in this
> direction for more than one month. This seems easy to fix; yet, nobody
> has done it so far.
>
> Nonetheless, I propose to upload dh-ocaml and start the migration to
> automatic dependencies (and open a bug explaining the issue with
> arch:all packages, as a reminder). This is not a transition in the
> release team's sense, and can be done incrementally. There are not so
> many arch:all packages, and AFAIK, they are all executables. Moreover,
> the situation will always be better than the current one (no ABI
> checking whatsoever).

We can perfectly continue to build package and try the dependency
generator for library packages. The only possible error is limited to
arch:all non-library packages (e.g. headache). For these packages,
dependency to libXXX-ocaml package will not be computed correctly. In
this case, I recommend to just not use auto-dependency.

FYI, what is missing to auto-dependencies:
- split provides/depends between libXXX-ocaml(-dev)? into
  libXXX-ocaml-(native|byte)(-dev)?-ZZZZ
  (libXXX-ocaml-native(-dev)?-ZZZZ will only exist on native arch).
- when computing dependencies ignore installed packages .md5sums
- internal dependencies (between libXXX-ocaml and libXXX-ocaml-dev)
  should use version rather than checksum

And what is on my wishlist:
- end rewriting policy (job started, not finished)
- dh_ocamlmeta: install debian/XXX.META to $(OCAML_STDLIB_DIR)/METAS and
  change its version
- dh_ocamldir: create $(OCAML_STDLIB_DIR) in -dev package and
  $(OCAML_DLL_DIR) in non-dev package
- dh_ocamlinstall: move files from debian/tmp/$(OCAML_STDLIB_DIR) to dev
  (*.cmxa, *.cmx, *.cmi...) and non-dev (*.cmxs, *.cma if *.cmxs,
  *.so...)
- ajouter ocaml:ABI directly into the substvars

> If nobody objects, I'm planning to upload dh-ocaml in one week or so and
> proceed with the migration. Please do whatever polishing you want to do
> by then. See:
>
>   http://wiki.debian.org/Teams/OCamlTaskForce/DhOCamlTransition

I think we can go ahead. It won't generate too much error as long as we
don't break arch:all packages.

Regards,
Sylvain Le Gall