Re: BD-Uninstallable performance.

On Mon, Aug 03, 2009 at 09:45:17PM +0200, Joachim Breitner wrote:
> I assume that most of the time is spent generating the fake source
> file (in wanna-build), then feeding that to edos-builddebcheck
> (perl) which uses add_sources (python) to transform it to a Packages
> file. The actualy edos-debcheck run is not the bottle neck. This
> should be easily verifiable by observing "ps -A".

ACK, that's my feeling as well. Even though I've no access to the said
machines, I seriously doubt edos-debcheck can take 10 minutes or so.

> If the edos-debcheck people could provide a version that has the
> builddebcheck part implemented in ocaml, I’m sure things would be
> considerably faster.

Sure, but as I discussed it will be yet another ack, because currently
edos-debcheck has no notion of sources. It can be done
nevertheless. Still, before going that way, please check whether
python-apt is installed or not.

The add-sources.py wrapper uses python-debian which only recommends
python-apt. If the latter is not installed however, Sources parsing
happens in pure python instead of using libapt-pkg. That can be a
serious difference in performances ...

Let me know.