Re: BinNMU for ocsigen

On Sun, Jun 15, 2008 at 10:24:07PM +0200, Stéphane Glondu wrote:
> Adeodato Simó wrote:
> >> The new release of ocaml-sqlite3 (1.2.0) invalidates some interfaces
> >> that are used by ocsigen. Therefore, ocsigen must be rebuilt against
> >> this new version.

> > Hm, how does one ensure that partial upgrades work, then?

> Install ocsigen and run it, with "sudo ocsigen -V". You may want to
> change the port in /etc/ocsigen/ocsigen.conf (80 by default). If there
> is no suspicious error message (especially concerning sqlite3), it
> should be ok.

This doesn't answer the question Adeodato asked.

The purpose of declaring package dependencies and conflicts is to ensure
that packages are never left in an "installed" state on the system when they
are not actually usable.  Users should not have to check for "suspicious
error messages" at runtime to figure out if a package is broken; this needs
to be declared via the packaging system.

This is not so important for upgrades from the previous version of ocsigen,
since this package has not been in a stable release yet; but it will be an
issue for upgrades from lenny to lenny+1.

Stefano Zacchiroli was working on the design for an shlibs-style mechanism
for ocaml.  Has this not made it to the implementation stages yet?