Re: naming convention for camlp4 libraries

On Sat, May 03, 2008 at 10:49:24AM +0000, Sylvain Le Gall wrote:
> > But we can transition gradually, so if you want to package type-conv in
> > svn it's no problem. I'm working with git also to discover if there are
> > flaws in the transition plan from svn 2 git I have outlined.
> No it is time to go with git.

OK then. To create the new needed git repos and checkout them out to
start working you can use the scripts I've prepared: they are in
projects/git-guide/ on the svn repo.

With them do:

  ./new-d-o-m-git-repo SRCPKGNAME TARBALL

for each tarball you have (which should be type-conv and bin-prot
AFAICT). Then do:

  ./checkout-d-o-m-git-repo type-conv
  ./checkout-d-o-m-git-repo bin-prot

You will then have the two locally cloned git repositories and can start
working on them.

> I am ok with this:
> - if the package only contains .cmo files for use with camlp4 ->
>   libFOO-camlp4-dev
> - if the package only contains .cmo files for use with camlp5 ->
>   libFOO-camlp5-dev
> - if the package contains library (.cma|.cmo|.cmxa...) ->
>   libFOO-ocaml-dev
>
> This is a good policy for naming.

I'm fine with this too; will change the policy to reflect this proposal
(unless there are other objections of course).

A last remark though: there are some cases where the library is mostly
an extension (with some extra libraries bit) and vice-versa. In that
case, where probably splitting 2 libFOO-{ocaml,camlp4}-dev is not
worthy, I would be fine with having only one binary package (maybe
Provide-ing the other?) named accordingly to the main use of the
package.

zack@{upsilon.cc,cs.unibo.it,debian.org}  -<%>-  http://upsilon.cc/zack/