Re: Broken builds on backports.org

Romain Beauxis wrote:
>>> Does anyone understand the report ?
>>> http://experimental.debian.net/fetch.php?&pkg=findlib&ver=1.2.1-4%7Ebpo40
>>> %2B1&arch=powerpc&stamp=1207867698&file=log&as=raw
>> Probably the same problem you could have with experimental
>
> Doesn't happen on experimental:
> http://experimental.debian.net/fetch.php?&pkg=findlib&ver=1.2.1-4.1&arch=mips&stamp=1206607497&file=log&as=raw

Actually, this report shows that findlib has been compiled with ocaml
3.10.1, which is probably not what was intended. So Julien was right:

> [...] the buildd
> doesn't pull packages from bpo unless it has to.  So in some cases (in
> this case ocaml and ocaml-base) sbuild notices that the default versions
> are not sufficient and that it needs the ones from bpo, but in some
> others it doesn't (ocaml-nox and ocaml-base-nox here).  Adding explicit
> build-deps on ocaml-nox (>= 3.10.1), ocaml-base-nox (>= 3.10.1) would
> probably work around that.  Or fix sbuild to deal with virtual packages
> better, but...
> (meh. why are people unable to read build logs?)

In my own experiments, I've noticed that some packages Ralf uploaded in
experimental were not correctly built, and I ended up recompiling
everything I needed myself. I though this was due to some lack of
synchronization between buildds on various platforms, but if Julien is
right, then an upload to experimental should be accompanied by
dependencies that enforce use of ocaml from experimental.

Stéphane