Re: [proposal] switch our repository from Subversion to Git

On Sat, Mar 08, 2008 at 07:06:29PM +0100, Remi Vanicat wrote:
> git-svnimport is now deprecated, and git-svn is the preferred way to
> import svn into git nowadays.

Ah, thanks, I wasn't aware of the deprecation, the man page of git-svn
needs to be upgraded then, it still says:

  git-svn is a simple conduit for changesets between Subversion and git.
  It is not to be confused with git- svnimport(1), which is read-only.

Maybe a bug report is needed on this?

> Also, I believe that the "one working directories all ocaml package"
> is not the best way to do it: git don't work with partial checkout, so
> it is difficult to work on only one project if you don't want checkout
> every thing.

Yep, this is a good point. Do you perhaps know what other teams using
git are doing for multiple packages? Or maybe Julien can tell us the
organization of the X strike force?

Even if one repository for everything is probably not a good idea, I do
want to retain the ability of checking out everything with a single
command. I am aware that git know supports the combination of several
git repositories (maybe they are called "modules" reusing the old CVS
lingo?) into a macro project which can then check out all sub-modules.
However I've never used that particular part of git ..., do you?

Cheers.

PS I see you haven't contributed to the poll, can I deduce from this
reasoning of yours that you are in favour of the switch?

zack@{upsilon.cc,cs.unibo.it,debian.org}  -<%>-  http://upsilon.cc/zack/