Re: Dependencies again...

On Sun, Mar 02, 2008 at 05:36:48PM +0100, Stéphane Glondu wrote:
> Concerning the .dot file: build-dep-graph.py didn't handle well
> dependencies involving alternatives (e.g. ocaml|ocaml-nox), that was why
> some nodes were disconnected in the graph (BTW, isn't ocaml-nox
> sufficient?). It is now fixed (and I slightly changed the Makefile so

Cool, thanks.

Out of memory: no, ocaml-nox was not enough since packages depending on
ocaml won't show up as the transitive dep ocaml -> ocaml-nox is not in
the universe of dependencies considered. Memories of years ago, I might
very well be wrong.

> I've noticed that some packages were excluded from the graph (via a
> ".exclude" file): how those packages are selected?

That's a good question. I think the principle was "packages which uses
ocaml for building, but which have no trace of ocaml relationship after
the build" (as the kernel, which used to have a ocaml script). But
looking at that file it seems to me that some choices have to be
reconsidered, for example graphviz ..., don't know about the other.

Maybe we should just remove the file and start from scratch with
exceptions, better if documenting them with some comments.

> I've updated gen-binNMU-request.py so that it takes as input the .dot
> file.

Wonderful, so I propose to get rid of build_order.txt. Or is anyone
still needing it for some strange reason?

> Currently, it also makes a request for (all the) packages with
> build-time only dependencies to ocaml, since there seems to be no way to
> check that the versions available in unstable are compiled with the
> "right" version of OCaml...

rrrrright, though some of them needs extra care and can't be binNMU-ed,
as Matita for example. But they will probably fall in the case "having
at least an Arch:any package with ocaml relationship" which should
exclude them anyhow. Am I correct?

zack@{upsilon.cc,cs.unibo.it,debian.org}  -<%>-  http://upsilon.cc/zack/