Re: Dependency graphs...

On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 06:03:34PM +0100, Stephane Glondu wrote:
> After reading the script that generates it, I've realized that this file
> does not contain what I was expecting. I was thinking that it was
> listing the dependencies for each package. Actually, it only lists a
> longest dependency path to ocaml.

Thanks for reminding me the semantics ;)

> Is the current build_order.txt useful for some purpose?

Not any more, it was usefully only to do manual staged uploads: we knew
that first all packages in the first slot should have been uploaded,
then the second, and so on. Given that now we are oriented to use the
binNMU approach we can get rid of that.

> For my purpose, it would be more useful to list the dependencies. I can
> change the script so that it generates what I expect, but since it is a
> change of semantics, I am asking first.

Since it is no longer in use you can change the semantics, but actually
we can even get rid of that and generated a new file with the info you
need, read on.

> And by the way, while trying to investigate why mediawiki and
> monotone-viz were disconnected in the graph online, I've realized that I
> didn't get the same graph on my own computer (on that one, they are
> connected)! The Makefile doesn't work out of the box. I didn't get where
> ocaml_src_pkgs.txt comes from. I won't touch anything since I don't know
> the context in which it is used, but I would be eager to help improve
> the thing.

Here are all the info I have about the context.

  zack@alioth:~$ crontab -l |grep build-dep
  05 00   *   *   *   (cd $HOME/build-dep-graph        && svn up ; make install) > /dev/null

crontab run on alioth.d.o from my home directory, the dir is a checkout
of tools/build-dep-graph/ from our subversion repository; as you can see
updated nightly. The invoked Makefile target is "install".
ocaml_src_pkgs.txt is generated by the script update_src_list.sh, in the
"download" target of the Makefile (yeah, I agree, it is dirty that
that's not explicit in the Makefile, I did that years ago, I was young
:-)).

What you mean with "doesn't work out of the box"?

Thanks for your efforts in this, I've always took care of this by myself
and it was getting a bit tiresome. Feel free to ask anything else you
need to know.

BTW, I don't like the fact that the cronjob is owned by me since nobody
else can change it (i.e. we fail the "someone gets hit by a bus test");
any idea on how to have a per-group cronjob on alioth? Is it possible at
all? (well, we can ask for a shared user and sudo to it, but it seems a
bit overkilling)

zack@{upsilon.cc,cs.unibo.it,debian.org}  -<%>-  http://upsilon.cc/zack/