Re: splitting ocamlmake and cmigrep off ocaml-tools

On Wed, May 16, 2007 at 09:23:18AM -0400, Eric Cooper wrote:
> On Wed, May 16, 2007 at 08:59:06AM +0200, Ralf Treinen wrote:
> > I intend to take ocamlmakefile and cmigrep out of the ocaml-tools
> > package and create separate packages for these two.
>
> I assume that once this is uploaded, packages that currently
> build-depend on ocamlmakefile should change to
>     Build-Depends: ..., ocamlmakefile | ocaml-tools (<= NNN), ...
> (NNN = last version before the split)?

I don't see a better way. We could have ocaml-tools depend on
the new ocamlmakefile, but I do not think that it would be justified.

In fact I am a bit surprised that packages actually build-depend
on ocaml-tools. I had expected that people install the package just
to have the latest version of ocamlmakefile around, and then copy the
file into their project when they start a new one (as one does it
for instance with config.sub and config.guess).

% grep-dctrl -s Package -F Build-Depends ocaml-tools /var/lib/apt/lists/ftp.fr.debian.org_debian_dists_sid_main_source_Sources
Package: approx
Package: missinglib
Package: ocaml-sha
Package: ocaml-sqlite
Package: pycaml
Package: regexp-pp
Package: syslog-ocaml

I guess these build-dependencies are due to ocamlmakefile.

-Ralf.