Re: where to put manpages (filename clash issue)

On Mon, Aug 27, 2007 at 11:04:31AM -0400, Eric Cooper wrote:
> My main wish would be for an API index page that each -dev package is
> linked from.  Right now, I have to navigate to
> file:///usr/share/doc/libfoo-ocaml-dev/...  by hand.

Right.

Do you think automatic registration with doc-base would be enough? That
way you can use the doc-base browsing tools to find OCaml API docs. In
addition to that we can think of creating a new OCaml-specific section
for OCaml module API references and that would enable to see a page with
only OCaml stuff, but we need to check if it is allowed to arbitrarily
create new sections in doc-base (volunteers welcome :)).

Alternatively we can create and distribute a tool which exploit the
doc-base database and extract only OCaml specific API stuff and help the
user browse it.

Other alternatives (as postinst update of a database of OCaml API
references with generation of whatever HTML page you want) will require
stuff in the postinst and hence creation of this stuff from a single
point during package building, e.g. dh_ocaml.  I'm not against this
latter kind of approaches, I'm only trying to figure out if we can be
still happy with easier solutions.