Re: "weird" naming convention for ocamlbuild executables

On Tue, Jun 19, 2007 at 10:35:35AM +1000, skaller wrote:
> > So if someone step forward and is willing to implement the
> > alternative mechanism which can make ocamlopt (and friends) point to
> > either ocamlopt.byte or ocamlopt.native then please go ahead.  I
> > have no objection in shipping that stuff as Debian's ocaml 3.10.0.
> You can't do that, it will break things. In Felix at the moment,

This is a way too bold statement. We *can* do that, we are software
distributors and we do this kind of stuff if we think this way the
software will better suite our distribution. If it breaks (guess what)
Felix we will patch it so that it won't break.

The majority of applications won't break. And if INRIA is going to adopt
the .byte/.native convention anyway, the few patches we will need to
introduce for that will vanish in next releases.

> The bottom line is .. you can't change anything.

Amen.

> The difference between ocamlopt.opt and ocamlopt for building debian
> packages is irrelevant anyhow. Who cares if the Debian autobuilder
> takes a few extra seconds to build something?

I don't know, let me think: what about the buildd administrators when
the daemons are overloaded just before a release?