Re: build-depending on a virtual package

Stefano Zacchiroli <zack@debian.org> writes:

> On Tue, May 02, 2006 at 06:37:00PM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
>> Does it realy matter to have the ocaml-best-compilers? Do we realy
>> need to save that extra 0.1s compile time by using the binary
>> optimized compiled on some archs?
>
> My answer is: no.
>
> But still, on stuff like Coq it can be far from the 0.1s, it can be a
> factor of up to 10x. As a user who rebuild from time to time package by
> himself, having such build-dependency is a way to reduce the compile
> time. I see it like a way to be kind with users rebuilding package by
> their own.
>
> It would be wonderful to have a way for such a dependency to be just a
> "hint", that sbuild can be free to ignore. But AFAIK there is no way to
> do that.
>
> Cheers.

Build-Depends: ocaml-nox | ocaml-native-compilers

But that is of roughly 0 use, ocaml-nox will always be installed.

The package should build the same way for users as it does for
buildds, again to be deterministic. So it is out of the question to
probe for ocamlopt.opt and use it if availbale. But debian/rules could
check some environment variable, e.g. DEB_OCAML_OPTS, and change its
behaviour if it is set.

But back to the problem.

Option 1) Just ignore it since there is only one package providing
ocaml-best-compilers. Ignore "apt-get build-dep" breakage. They are
partly a bug in apt anyway.

Option 2) Create a meta package "ocaml-best-compilers" that depends on
the best compiler for each arch.

MfG
        Goswin