Re: transition binNMUs

On Thu, Jan 12, 2006 at 16:08:05 +0000, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 12, 2006 at 02:43:01PM +0100, Julien Cristau wrote:
> > some packages have been binNMUed by the release team for the 3.09.1
> > transition, and so don't need to be reuploaded:
>
> As I already observed elsewhere all those packages must have an RC bug
> filed against them for not respecting the debian ocaml policy.

Well, I still don't understand why this is so wrong in your opinion.
If an OCaml point release introduces a backwards-incompatibility at the
source level, I'd say that it's a bug. And if there is a
backwards-incompatibility in any ocaml release which affects some
package, this package should then fail to build.
What I think is wrong is when packages don't have a strict build-dep,
but will break if built with a different ocaml version, which is the
case of a few packages in the svn repo. I don't see the point in having
strict build-dependencies, when we can relax them and still build
working packages.
This means that transitions can be done more easily (there's nothing to
change in the source package, in the common case), and that it's even
possible to backport packages to other ocaml versions easily.

Cheers,
Julien