svn-buildpackage: can't generate debian/control with a pre-build hook, since dpkg-checkbuildeps will fail.

Package: svn-buildpackage
Version: 0.6.14
Severity: normal

Hi, ...

We have a package which is in a subversion repository, and which has a
debian/control.in which is used to generate the debian/control before the
first source upload. Naturally using svn-buildpackage fails because of the
missing debian/control. I thought of using a pre-build hook as follows :

  svn-buildpackage -rfakeroot -us -uc --svn-prebuild="debian/rules debian/control"

But it failed with :

  dpkg-checkbuilddeps
  dpkg-checkbuilddeps: error: cannot read control file debian/control: No such
  file or directory
  Insufficient Build-Deps, stop!

So, i wonder if there is a bug in svn-buildpackage and the prebuild hook
should be called before dpkg-checkbuilddeps is called (but after svn export is
done), or if we need another hook to do this.

I guess this is a rather common thing to need to do, so having
svn-buildpackage support this option makes a lot of sense (to me at least).

The other question i had, we have a debian/svn-deblayout, which contains some
urls and stuff, but i am wondering if this is also the right place to put this
prebuild hook, it would be nice in any case, so all knowledge about how to
build the package is included in the package, but the svn-buildpackage doesn't
mention that file, nor the various other documentation, which only mention a
~/.svn-buildpackage.conf file, but not one relative to the current builddir.

-- System Information:
Debian Release: 3.1
Architecture: powerpc (ppc)
Kernel: Linux 2.6.14-2-powerpc
Locale: LANG=fr_FR.UTF-8, LC_CTYPE=fr_FR.UTF-8 (charmap=UTF-8)