Re: ubuntu ocaml documentation

On Tue, 2005-08-30 at 14:23 +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 27, 2005 at 10:04:57AM +1000, skaller wrote:
> > There are some differences I have discovered, for example
> > Debian and Ubuntu use distinct documentation 'help' systems.
> >
> > Ubuntu rebuilding of Debian Ocaml docs gets me all the
> > nice Documentation .. using the Debian packages directly
> > does not.
>
> Could you please elaborate on that? If there are improvement in the
> ubuntu packages which are missing in the debian ones we will all be
> happy to integrate them back in our packages.

No, there is nothing missing in the Debian ones.

It is just that Debian uses a different documentation management
system to Ubuntu.

The 'master index' of documents is a different format and goes
in a different place: Ubuntu is using Yelp, and some kind
of weird thing different from Debian  -- I found this out
when trying to install my own Debian package on Ubuntu --
the documentation conformed to Debian but didn't come up
in the Yelp help index.. but the Ocaml documents DID come up.

Because Ubuntu repackaged them I guess.

I also had to supply 'omf' files which for GtkSourceView
to lex Felix code -- not sure if that's standard for
Ocaml on Debian or not (but the files seem to exist
on the Ubuntu system).

There are probably more differences -- the most important
one is probably Ubuntu's heavy approach to internationalisation.

--
John Skaller <skaller at users dot sourceforge dot net>