Re: tuareg-mode and ocaml-mode

On Sat, Aug 20, 2005 at 01:45:23PM +0200, Jérôme Marant wrote:
> Ralf Treinen <treinen@free.fr> writes:
>
> >> If you want to avoid any problem in the future, just forget about
> >> alternatives.
> >
> > Why?
>
> Link mess. It breaks all the time.

According to my experience this is an exaggeration.

Anyway, how do you think we should handle the automatic loading of the two
modes on *.ml files? If only one of caml-mode or tuareg-mode is
installed on a system then it would be reasonable to expect that
the installed mode is the system-wide default for *.ml files.
This can be achieved by having both of the respective packages
install a file in /etc/emacs/site-start.d/, as it is currently
the case with ocmal-mode (but not with tuareg-mode).

What if both packages are installed? One possibility would be to decide
now which of the two modes takes priority (by choosing the numerical
prefix of the file name in /etc/emacs/site-start.d/). That is, if
tuareg takes priority (this is of course what I would suggest :-)
then ocaml-mode would install a file

/etc/emacs/site-start.d/50ocaml-mode.el

and tuareg could install

/etc/emacs/site-start.d/51tuareg-mode.el

The lower-priority package should explain in its README.Debian file
how a user can overwrite this setting.

BTW, I just see that currently I have on my system two startup files

/etc/emacs/site-start.d/50ocaml.el
/etc/emacs/site-start.d/50ocaml-nox.el

but I guess this will be solved anyway by the split.

-Ralf.