Re: [Caml-list] Debian apt-proxy/apt-cacher replacement

On Fri, Apr 01, 2005 at 09:39:19PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> Eric, i was about to upload the approx package, since i have been
> using it since a couple weeks, but noticed that syslog-ocaml was not
> in the archive, nor in the NEW queue. Do you know if it was already
> uploaded, or not ? In the later case i would upload both of them.

I didn't do anything other than check the package into svn, and
haven't seen any emails about anyone else uploading it.

> Also, what is your preference for the maintainer/uploader fields ?
> You as maintainer and me as uploader, or the debian/ocaml task force
> as maintainer and me as uploader ? I am not sure you will directly
> get bug reports in the second case, but they will go to the
> debian-ocaml-maint mailing list, where you could get them.

I am happy with either approach; if most packages use the task force
as maintainer, it would be best to conform to that.

> Also, it mostly worked fine, but that little problem you mentioned
> apparently caused debian|ubuntu-installer to barf when doing the
> base-install, and since it has not-nice error recovery mode ... Hand
> going in the chroot and doing an apt-get update did install the
> problematic packages, but this is not enough for the installer. Any
> idea of what this problem is.

No, this has continued to elude me.  The corruption is always zero or
more lines of HTTP headers, followed by an empty (CRLF) line, before
the correct data.  And it's not reproducible just by removing the file
from the cache and re-fetching it.  It seems to go away when all the
[flush] calls are removed from Stefano's ocaml-http (but that may just be
masking the problem somehow).

> Also, i was wondering if a router could be setup in such a way to
> transparently redirect a call to the archive to a call to approx,
> but this seems complicated to me, since we don't really have apt-get
> specific protocol or something to filter.

I'm not sure what you want to do (or why), but perhaps the Apache
configuration on the archive can be tweaked to allow this.  Otherwise,
some other HTTP-level entity, like another proxy or load balancer,
would have to be involved.