Re: Building and cleaning the manual in advi

Hello,
On Fri, Feb 04, 2005 at 07:47:52PM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 03, 2005 at 10:08:02AM +0100, Helge Kreutzmann wrote:
> > Please look at the beginning of this thread. Essentially, there is no
> > programm "htmlc" in Debian or in the tar ball, and all the
> > documentation I could read in the tar ball did not talk about where to
>
> Oh, ok, i forgot abouyt that one. i will investigate ...

Any news on this?

> > get it. For the man page I don't remember the exact error, but the
> > only difference between the source and the final man page is one
> > substituted variable with the version. Essentially, we have two
> >
> > a) Patch the source to remove the variable (I would do this, as the
> >    man page was written for a certain version, but of course this
> >    requires updating whenever a new upstream tar ball changes the
> >    version).
> >
> > b) Run the source through sed or similar, i.e., automatically replace
> >    the version with the version of advi we are building. This could be
> >    achieved by a patched Makefile for the man page. Of course, this
> >    might mislead readers into thinking that the man page always fully
> >    applies to the latest version.
>
> That would be easy enough.

I can implement this.

> > If you could check the intent of upstream, that would be great, so we
> > could follow upstreams idea then.
>
> Indeed, to bad i didn't think of it yesterday, as i talked with Pierre Weiss
> about advi, but i have been out of touch of anything eail and packaging
> related since then.

Any idea when you will clarify?

> > I also fixed the spelling of the doc-base entry; since the manual is
> > only shipped as pdf at the moment, and doc-base does not support this
> > (if I see that correctly), I did not add an entry to the changelog and
> > renamed the file (svn mv). Once we have HTML-docs again, the file can
> > be renamed back; after this fix is included, the bug can be closed
> > manually, though.
>
> Ok.

Given that most of the items are handled I'd like to know a rough time
frame when it will be transferred into the main trunk for actual
deployment in Debian. There are still some minor fixups to be done
(like, e.g., replacing the shipped style files with the Debians once,
improving the explanation about the missing mpeg-file, ...) but before
continuing I'd first now like to see things available in Debian.

If there are any show stoppers from your side, or questions, then
please ask. If you'd like to have a list of the items still on my
TODO, I can supply it, of course (but most items we've already
discussed in this and the previous thread).

Greetings

          Helge

--
Dr. Helge Kreutzmann, Dipl.-Phys.           Helge.Kreutzmann@itp.uni-hannover.de