Re: [Caml-list] binary compatibility of 3.08.3

On Fri, Jan 14, 2005 at 10:01:00AM -0500, Yaron Minsky wrote:
> It's worth mentioning that the pain of such upgrades is considerably
> reduced by the use of a package manager like GODI.  It's hardly
> perfect, but it makes such things much easier.

We already have a package manager, thank you all the same. The user won't see
a thing, but it is a hard thing for us debian package maintainers to rebuild
all packages that are dependent on ocaml on all 11 officially supported debian
architectures, and a bunch of unofficial ones, especially given the fact that
there are many dependencies, and there is at least one day lag in the
dependency chain building, and that some of our architectures are real slow to
build (m68k, mips/mipsel and s390 are the usual blockers, often arm and hppa
too). And so near to the sarge release, it is a real question if we should
forego the 3.08.3 changes or launch such a wide rebuild, which may miss the
freeze/release date anyway, or worse even, may make some important part of the
packages not being in the release at all. Luckily no ocaml package is part of
base/standard, and not affected by the base freeze.

Stuff like GODI are just hacky workaround for systems that lack real
system-wide package management and good ocaml integration like debian does :)