Re: hevea licencing problems

On Thu, Jan 13, 2005 at 08:18:22PM +0100, Ralf Treinen wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 13, 2005 at 12:05:27PM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 13, 2005 at 08:41:16AM +0100, Ralf Treinen wrote:

> > > Frankly, I did not follow the discussion about QPL during the summer.
> > > Is there really a *consensus* that all QPL-licenced software is not
> > > DFSG-free?
> >
> > Nope, but Xavier and the ocaml team decided to drop the choice of venu clause
> > (which may be illegal anyway, at least in french law), and the QPL 6c, so
> > debian-legal was happy. I suggest that hevea upstream does the same thing too.
>
> I just had a look at the ocaml package. The changelog.Debian says
>
> ocaml (3.08.1-1) unstable; urgency=high
> * Dropped QPL 6c qnd choice of venue clause from the QPL licence.
>
> However, /usr/share/doc/ocaml/copyright still contains clause 6c and
> the venue clause. Where is the modified ocaml licence?

Ah, you need to learn to read :))) you missed this in the preamble :

  As a special exception to the Q Public Licence, you may develop
  application programs, reusable components and other software items
  that link with the original or modified versions of the Compiler
  and are not made available to the general public, without any of the
  additional requirements listed in clause 6c of the Q Public licence.

The QPL itself, like the GPL, is non-free, so we don't have the right to
modify it, and neither has the ocaml team, thus a exception was added to it.

As for the choice of venue clause, it was dropped completely, since the QPL
made allowance for modifying the choice of venue, and only the choice of law
remains.