Re: Help on packaging advi (current status)

Hello,
On Mon, Jan 03, 2005 at 06:18:32PM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> Make sure to put things in a branch of the advi package in the svn repo (svn
> cp packages/advi/trunk packages/advi/branches/split or whatever name), and
> checkin often, so we can all contribute.

Right now I only have a small "mess" here, I probably won't make it
before the weekend to create proper dpatches.

> >  Things to discuss:
> >    a) movie
> >       The upstream tar ball is missing the example movie, probably due
> >       to size constraints, correct? I used a random mpeg-file from my
> >       disk (and a locally compiled mplayer) and it worked fine. I
> >       guess a note in README.Debian is sufficient
>
> Would adding a smallish movie or something not be possible ?

Sure. I assumed that the movie "dancemonkeyboy.mpg" was removed on
purpose (size?). Also while mplayer works fine, as it is not provided
in Debian we should maybe use vlc or xine instead. I'll check that
out.

> Mmm, which eps are those ?

Right now I do:
       ln -s tex/advilogo.eps test/
       cd test && $(MAKE)
       rm test/advilogo.eps

and
        tex/bar.eps examples/basics/
        cd examples && $(MAKE)
        rm examples/basics/bar.eps

And I right now think I understand why they are not copied (and they don't
have to, for some still unknown reason), i.e., the logo is present in
the presentation in test/

> >    k) In test/, some ocaml code is compiled (e.g., taquin). Is this
> >       plattform independent, e.g., can this be shipped in an all package?
> >       If not, than this would defect one of the purposes of the
> >       package split (disk space saved on the mirrors). Right now I
> >       assume that it is indeed portable.
>
> If it is bytecode then yet, try running file on them, and see what it says.

Well, it is a shell script:
taquin: a /usr/bin/ocamlrun script text executable

The second line starts some binary data, which kills my terminal if
cat'ed. (reset cures that)

According to the man page,
       ocamlrun - The Objective Caml bytecode interpreter

is this bytecode the same as with java, i.e., is it portable? Well,
I'll most likly try it out later in a testing/unstable alpha or i386
chroot.

Greetings

          Helge
--