Re: ubuntu ocaml documentation

On Wed, 2005-08-31 at 11:09 +0200, Sven Luther wrote:

> > There are probably more differences -- the most important
> > one is probably Ubuntu's heavy approach to internationalisation.
>
> Well, with the bulk of ocaml's documentation being non-free and not allowing
> translations, i wish them luck :)

It isn't just translations: they have, for example, a project
to translate packages of gettext messages, internationalising
all packages which use gettext .. and some kind of system
for installing translations as modules -- no, I know very
little about it.

Unlike Debian, Ubuntu is squarely aimed at the 'dumb' user.
In particular, it is squarely aimed at replacing Windows
in business, government, etc etc.

So I wouldn't be complaining about Debian vs. Ubuntu ..
the aims are different. Ubuntu comes on one CD,
with Open Office installed.. and no gcc. It's designed
to 'just work', even at the expense of making it harder
to configure. EG: recent discussion about whether to get
rid of the 'virtual desktop' widget from the tool bar,
because 'Aunt Polly' wouldn't understand what it was for.

For me .. it was good to get up and running easily.
But now it isn't so good, it is too dang hard to figure
out how to do things .. like, my hardware clock is set
to UTC but I'm dual booting Windows which doesn't understand
that .. I need to reset the clock to local time .. but
I have no idea how Ubuntu has recorded the configuration:
there's no GUI widget to change the setting, at least from
an accessible menu .. even if I manually change the hw clock,
ubuntu kindly 'fixes' it with NTP during bootup .. :)

--
John Skaller <skaller at users dot sourceforge dot net>