Re: [request for help] lablgl && xorg

On Sat, Jul 30, 2005 at 01:30:35PM +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 30, 2005 at 02:22:24PM +1000, Daniel Stone wrote:
> > > Without the -lXxf86vm the linker failed complaining about a missing
> > > symbol (XF86VidModeQueryVersion IIRC).
> > Sounds like you're using the nVidia proprietary driver, which isn't
> > correctly linked.
>
> Interesting, this may explain why other people trying to build the same
> package does not encounter the issue. Howerver, I indeed have an nvidia
> graphic card, but I'm using the x.org "nv" driver and not the "nvidia"
> proprietary one since the latter has several issues with sleep. Still,
> I've built the nvidia proprietary driver, is it in somehow in use even
> if I don't load the "nvidia" module?

/usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.a, in this case, is still the binary version.

You'll need to remove nvidia-glx entirely if you want to build stuff
properly, or build in a chroot.

> While we are it, excuse my ignorance, but how can the X driver I'm using
> may influence the building of a graphic library? I mean, buildds have no
> X server running but they're still able to build graphic library
> packages ...

Because it diverts the libGL shared library, and your program links
against libGL.  It's not just the Xorg driver that binary-only drivers
mess with, it's generally also libGL.  Sigh.