Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 21:22:58 -0700
From: Thomas Bushnell BSG <tb@becket.net>
To: debian-devel@lists.debian.org, pyro@debian.org
Subject: aspell upgrade woes

So aspell changed the library name to libaspell15c2, which breaks all
the existing packages that use libaspell.

Was this really an ABI change in libaspell?  If not, there was no
reason to make the change as I understand it.  Were high-severity bugs
filed on all the packages that depend on the library, requesting
recompiles?

My understanding was that this upgrade would *not* normally change
library package names, so I'm wondering why this one did.  The aspell
changelog doesn't contain anything illuminating.

Thomas