Re: Building and cleaning the manual in advi

Hello,
On Mon, Jan 31, 2005 at 11:03:46AM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> Well, my impression is that licences only apply at link time, not when mere
> distributing as examples. And since we don't distribute the linked version it
> is ok. Other may have some problem with that claiming the intention counts, as
> was the case with the emacs files. Now the example files are clearly usefull
> without those files, since their primary aim is to serve as example, not to be
> reused and linked by the user, so i would say there is no problem.

I don't think you have a licencese to distribute <insert some random
propriotary software>, even if you do not intend to link to it.

> > This seems to be necessary, I am afraid, because I am unable to
> > rebuild the HTML documentation or the man page (where, honestly
> > speaking, only one string is repleaced). But make clean happily
> > deletes the pre-build ones.
>
> Hehe. Why can't you rebuild them though ? That would be the cleanest solution.

Please look at the beginning of this thread. Essentially, there is no
programm "htmlc" in Debian or in the tar ball, and all the
documentation I could read in the tar ball did not talk about where to
get it. For the man page I don't remember the exact error, but the
only difference between the source and the final man page is one
substituted variable with the version. Essentially, we have two

a) Patch the source to remove the variable (I would do this, as the
   man page was written for a certain version, but of course this
   requires updating whenever a new upstream tar ball changes the
   version).

b) Run the source through sed or similar, i.e., automatically replace
   the version with the version of advi we are building. This could be
   achieved by a patched Makefile for the man page. Of course, this
   might mislead readers into thinking that the man page always fully
   applies to the latest version.

If you could check the intent of upstream, that would be great, so we
could follow upstreams idea then.

I also fixed the spelling of the doc-base entry; since the manual is
only shipped as pdf at the moment, and doc-base does not support this
(if I see that correctly), I did not add an entry to the changelog and
renamed the file (svn mv). Once we have HTML-docs again, the file can
be renamed back; after this fix is included, the bug can be closed
manually, though.

Greetings

           Helge
--