Re: [Caml-list] binary compatibility of 3.08.3

On Thu, Jan 27, 2005 at 04:40:50PM +0100, Christophe TROESTLER wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Jan 2005, Jacques Garrigue <garrigue@math.nagoya-u.ac.jp> wrote:
> >
> > It is reasonnable to assume that 3.08.3 will not be binary compatible.
>
> BTW, what about then changing the library locations
> (e.g. /usr/lib/ocaml/3.08) to include the "minor number"
> (e.g. /usr/lib/ocaml/3.08.3)? [Applies also to ld.conf, /usr/local,
> the default findlib location,...]  That would make easy to have
> several versions of OCaml installed on the same machine (especially
> for /usr/local) and will make it clear one has to recompile existing
> libraries.

Sure, and that is what we will have to do. This is a lengthy process though,
and we had hoped to avoid this. This means not only changing the LIBDIR name,
but also changing the virtual versioned package from ocaml-3.08 to
ocaml-3.08.3, which our autobuilders still have trouble with.

We should really have done this for 3.08.2, but 3.08.1 was ok.

Also notice that on debian systems, you should not install into plain
/usr/local, but into /usr/local/lib/ocaml/3.08.3 too. the default ld.conf
knows about that, but sadly ocaml doesn't know how to look for various LIBDIR
path by itself.