Re: hevea: generating .png or .gif by default

On Wed, Jan 19, 2005 at 08:01:03AM +0100, Ralf Treinen wrote:
> I am preparing a new upload of HeVeA since Luc Maranget has modified
> its licence in the same sense as ocaml, which hopefully will protect
> it from slipping into non-free. I was wondering whether I should
> do another modification:
>
> Upstream HeVeA generates pictures (in cases something can not be
> rendered in html) by default in .gif format and provides an option
> in form of .hva HeVeA style file to change this into .png. So far,
> the debian package has inverted this, and made .png the default and
> .gif an option. The reason for this derivation was that until
> recently the .gif format pas patent-encumbered and many of its
> tools where non-free. This has changed now, and gif tools are back
> into main. Hence, I would like to revert the change introduced in
> the debian package, and make gif again the default. The advantage
> is that this would make the debian package consistent with the
> upstream version.
>
> What do people on this list think?

I would rather prefer keeping the png behaviour. Even if gif is no
longer patent-encumbered I fell more comfortable in using png since it
has never been patent-encumbered ;)

Now that png is widespread we have no support issues and I don't see the
benefit in being consistent with upstream about the image target format