Re: ara and xara-gtk native packages

On Mon, Jan 10, 2005 at 08:12:54AM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 09, 2005 at 10:55:34PM -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > On Sun, Jan 09, 2005 at 06:20:19PM +0100, Berke Durak wrote:
> > > The Ocaml native compiler is not available under some architectures
> > > (e.g., MIPS, ARM...).  The native code packages ara and xara-gtk
> > > should therefore not be built.  But building is currently being
> > > attempted, leading to errors, see

> > >   http://buildd.debian.org/build.php?pkg=ara

> > > These architectures should use the ara-byte and xara-gtk-byte
> > > packages instead.

> > Previous versions of the ara packages did build on these architectures.
> > What changed?

> We now build one single ara-byte which is arch: all, so we need not burden the
> autobuilders on these architecture (m68k, mips, mipsel and s390) which have
> other stuff to attend anyway. This is the same thing which applies to the
> spamoracle package, and works rather nicely.

> ocaml's bytecode is in general arch-indep, so we can do the above trick, and
> some nice provide stuff to have the ara-byte provide ara, so it will install
> the native code ara on native code arches, and ara-byte on non-native code
> ones, and let you install ara-byte on native arches if you like.

> there is no real point of keeping 4 copies of the exact same code in the
> archive, right ?

That's true.  OTOH, making ara-byte available as arch: all means that
someone could install ara-byte on, say, i386 instead of installing the ara
package.  I'm not sure if that's what you intended when you created the
package, or whether knowing this changes your opinion about the usefulness
of the arch: all package...

> > Errors from build attempts on the autobuilders are ignorable if the
> > architecture is not supported, but the fact that there are old ara binaries
> > on these architectures is something that must be resolved before the new
> > version of the package can progress to testing.

> Yep. Which is way it would be cool to get them out of the way.

In which case, someone should file a bug against ftp.debian.org requesting
removal of those binaries.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer