Help on packaging advi (current status)

Hello,
Sven Luther asked me to help in the packaging of advi. In the
following I list the points I have worked on/work on/will work on with
some comments. Please tell me if you have specific requirements or
disagree with a certain change. The intended time frame is over the
next weeks, hopefully quite quick.

#233322:
 Things to discuss:
   a) movie
      The upstream tar ball is missing the example movie, probably due
      to size constraints, correct? I used a random mpeg-file from my
      disk (and a locally compiled mplayer) and it worked fine. I
      guess a note in README.Debian is sufficient
   b) xanim
      The animations in the test/-directory use xanim. This works fine
      with a locally compiled xanim, but AFAIK xanim is (no-longer)
      shipped by Debian. I currently consider replacing the
      xanim-calls by animate calls as in the other demos.
   c) exact relation to advi
      Currently I have a general dependency on advi >= the first
      version after the split, so people over slow links can only
      update the examples if really necessary. Whenever new demos are
      added, this needs to be checked, of course (e.g., if new
      features of advi are used)
   d) size / playable / installer script
      I installed it in a way such that every dvi file is actually
      fully playable (except for the missing mpeg mentioned above) if
      all required software is installed. Unfortunately this increase
      the package size, as e.g., some eps-files must not be
      compressed. I think this is ok, because advi only recommends it,
      so it can be skipped on disks with low space, and users can have
      a look as much as possible. Alternativly I can provide a script,
      which copies and uncompresses the demos, but then it would
      uncompress everything and users might run into their quotas.
      If #277654 is solved, than dics usage can be reduced again.
   e) build failures
      the test/-directory compiled fine, but in the examples I had to
      patch in two files. One patch might not be necessary (it sets an
      TEXINPUTS, which classhes with a locally set one), but in the
      other case I had to comment out some latex code as I did not
      understand what was going on:
      advi-1.6.0/examples/seminar/a14/mon-seminar.tex
      Right now it compiles, but I am not sure if I commented out, or
      too much.
   f) does advi embedd some eps?
      The files display fine, although some eps were only present at
      compile time (I think). I will investigate...
   g) Short description (review after checkin) and exact dependencies
      (dito)
   h) Long term tetex-compatibility (e.g. prosper)
      As mentioned above, some code is not compatible with current
      tetex. Also I noticed, that several style files are included,
      some of which are not in Debian, some might (did not check). In
      a later stage, the styles in the examples should be checked and
      possibly synced with the ones shipped by Debian. But at least
      the source should be mentioned, if applicable, e.g.,
      xprosper.sty belongs to HA-Prosper, but this is nowhere
      mentioned (at least an URL should be provided)
   i) manual
      I think the manual should be added to the examples. Havn't done
      so because I was missing a build dependency
   j) does clean delete too much?
      While writing this, I notice that many things get deleted
      although they are in the upstream tarball -- I will investigate
      this (later)
   k) In test/, some ocaml code is compiled (e.g., taquin). Is this
      plattform independent, e.g., can this be shipped in an all package?
      If not, than this would defect one of the purposes of the
      package split (disk space saved on the mirrors). Right now I
      assume that it is indeed portable.

#286457
 Things to discuss:
   I understand this now (I missed the .advirc files when first
   reporting). Unless someone objects, I close this one.

#277654
 Things to discuss:
   I would simply link the man page for zadvi to the advi one and
   patch the man page to mention both.

#286452
 Things to discuss:
  I will fix the spelling only and close it (the TODO should be
  updated sometime, but this is up to the real maintainers)

#286454
 Things to discuss:
   I will correct the spelling but leave it open (point a))

#286455
  Things to discuss:
    None (unless you propose a different spelling)

#286456
  Things to discuss:
    I will apply a), d), f), g), h), j), l), o)
    The other items should be discussed and applied later, possibly
    cloning this bug.

#286458
  Things to discuss:
    I will apply it along the lines of #277654 and the patch. Unless
    you dislike bzip2 functionality.

If there are other rules/comments you'd like to be seen taken care of
(beside the usual Debian packaging rules), please tell me which. Also
I will commit the changes one by one when they are ready, so in case
something has to be optimized, it still can be done.

Greetings

          Helge
--
Helge Kreutzmann, Dipl.-Phys.               Helge.Kreutzmann@itp.uni-hannover.de